Skip to content

Magic

October 24, 2011

I finish at the gym, walk outside, and sit on a wall by the driveway.  Indian summer evening in San Francisco.  Breezy, cool, fog above downtown.  Delicious.

I love my life, I find myself thinking, I love my life, I love my life, I love my life.  The thought flows as naturally as the wind.  I watch the skyline – people ask why I let my long hair fall in front of my eyes…it’s for moments like these, when I watch the world through wisps of silver – I love my life, I love my life.

Clouds move above, the thought shifts: I love myself, I love myself, I love myself, I love myself.  I’m smiling, then grinning.  All I am, my hopes, dreams, desires, faults, strengths, everything – I.  Love.  Myself.

If you can reach this point, even if it’s for a brief moment, it will transform you – I promise you that.

The key, at least for me, has been to let go.  Let go of the ego, let go of attachments, let go of who I think I should be, who others think I should be.  And as I do that, the real me emerges, far far better than the Kamal I projected to the world.  There is a strength in this vulnerability that cannot be described, only experienced.

Am I this way each moment, nope, but I sure as heck am working on it.

Thousands of years ago, a Roman poet wrote, “I am a human being, therefore nothing human is foreign to me.” I believe it to be true. So if  this is possible for one human, it is possible for anyone.  The path might be different, but the destination same.

Key is being open to loving ourselves.  Once we do that, life casually takes care of the next steps.

Remain open to that one possibility and you’ll experience the beauty of watching the world around you dance its dance while inside, you fully accept this marvelous amazing human being you are.  The feeling is, for lack of a better word, magic.

10 Comments leave one →
  1. Cesar Vargas permalink
    October 25, 2011 1:27 am

Once again, thanks. Reading these lines first in the morning is pretty comforting.

• October 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Glad you liked them. Thank you for the kind words, Cesar.

2. October 26, 2011 11:44 pm

I hear you man. Compassion for others begins with ourselves.Rock on 🙂

3. November 8, 2011 3:21 am

Great post. So important.

• November 8, 2011 3:40 am

Thank you so much, James! Means a lot coming from you. By the way, you’re my first celebrity-blogger comment!

4. November 11, 2011 3:25 pm

There are moments when you as a writer you cannot find the right words to what you are feeling, I am experiencing one of those times. However, you managed to describe exactly what I am searching to explain right when I needed it. Thank you for your insight!

5. June 1, 2012 1:29 am

“If you can reach this point, even if it’s for a brief moment, it will transform you – I promise you that”…..so important,these words made me smile brightly on the inside.

6. Chris Cervantez permalink
    June 30, 2012 9:03 am

“let go of who I think I should be, who others think I should be.  And as I do that, the real me emerges”
    I just read this last night… I don’t expect an answer but any insight is welcome.

When I read those lines, it kinda startled me because I guess I put so much pressure on myself thinking who I should be by now and I also think a lot about what everyone else expects me to be….I’m trying to keep an open mind, but it sounds easier said than done…

7. lunajune permalink
    September 4, 2012 8:43 am

It has….it does daily…and in almost every moment of my day, I am reminded how much I love this life, and the wonders that unfold each day. Like finding your words today :~) grateful

8. trustlifetoday-test site only permalink
    December 21, 2012 4:08 pm

I ran across this today and thought of you:
    “That’s the thing with magic. You’ve got to know it’s still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you.” ~ Charles de Lint