Skip to content

Notes to a Born Self

May 21, 2014

I don’t know the exact time of my birth.  5 or 6 am.  My mom remembers dawn breaking outside the window.  When I press her for more, she gently reminds me that she was occupied at the time.

Fair enough, mom.

There I was, pulled out, all tiny and screaming.  If you were to translate what I was shouting to the world, it’d probably be a rendition of WHAT THE FUCK?

I think of the little beings we arrive as, thrust into the arms of unprepared parents.  Instructions manual, none.  Amazing that they manage to raise us to go on to build rocketships and write mysteries and compose symphonies.  You’d think that given the general silliness of our species, we’d have gone extinct a long time ago.

So, several dawns later, here I am.  Sometimes still looking around, mumbling, “wtf?”  And sometimes, struck with gratitude for the sheer beauty of it all.

Since time – heck, reality itself – is an illusion, I’m going to give my newborn self the manual I wish he’d be given.  Close my eyes, reach out to him, and hand him this.  No fluff.  No theories.  Only hard earned truths.  The rest, he can color between the lines.   Here goes…

– You are worthy.  The sooner you accept that, the sooner life will zing.

– Break rules.  The rewards greatly outnumber the punishments.

– Everything is an experience.  In the now, that’s it.

– Good and bad are labels.  Be with the experience, not the label.

– You are special.  Treat yourself well.

– I repeat: you are fucking special.  Don’t accept less from anyone.

– Love requires risk.  It’s worth it.

– The more you close your heart, the more it gets broken.  Funny how that works.

– Your mind is not far removed from a monkey.  Don’t trust it.

– Your inner self, the quiet and deep part within, trust that.

– Every day, spend time in gratitude.

– Every day, create something.

– Love yourself.  It works wonders.

I am a later version of you.  Before I know it, there will be a later version of me.  And before he knows it, no more.  Poof, a wisp of stardust, gone.  Leave behind a life that mattered.  I love you.

17 Comments leave one →
  1. Sherry Abdou permalink
    May 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Dear Kamal,

I hope you are well and very happy. Your post’s always reach me when I’m struggling to find truth to a pressing moment in my life. You are my angel messenger! I can’t thank you enough for sending this out this evening, because it literally reached me moments after I posed a pressing conflict I’m facing to my daughter. Then there you have it, the universe sends me the answer from a voice I respect and trust. Telling me not to doubt myself and take the risk presented before me with gusto. Thank you! You ARE amazing! Truly!

Many, many blessings and love…… Sherry

2. May 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Earth Angel Kamal,
    I’m inspired and very grateful for your presence in this ‘WTF’ world! When I saw this email, I knew it would hold treasures for my heart. Keep writing.
    Much Love,
    Liza

3. May 21, 2014 9:52 pm

How come everything you write is what I need to hear? I love this, and I love you!

4. May 22, 2014 1:11 am

This is beautiful. A keeper–I’m putting it up by my desk in two versions…I hope you’ll forgive that I edit the “fuck” out of the one I place on the wall at school. Or maybe they’ll like it better if I simply pretend to sharpie it out. That would be the least appropriate thing to do;) Happy birthday.

5. May 22, 2014 6:08 am

thanks for writing it and sharing it. I love what you said: “- Love yourself. It works wonders.” 🙂

6. May 22, 2014 7:37 am

Wisdom indeed. Eternity is now.

7. May 22, 2014 7:44 am

As always… simply amazing

8. May 22, 2014 8:00 am

Great post. Happy Birthday!

9. Michele permalink
    May 22, 2014 8:39 am

You have great timing!!

10. May 22, 2014 3:18 pm

जन्मदिन मुबारक हो (janmdin mubaarak ho)

Lovely post. ‘Break rules’ resonates w/ me at this time time in my life.
    You should write a children’s book.

11. Anonymous permalink
    June 1, 2014 6:29 am

I’m going to insist my teenage girls make this their mantra. Wish I had come across this wisdom in my youth..

12. October 11, 2014 2:12 am

“So, several dawns later, here I am. Sometimes still looking around, mumbling, “wtf?” And sometimes, struck with gratitude for the sheer beauty of it all.”

So true, this really resonates..love it!

13. October 18, 2014 1:42 pm

This one made me cry.
    I heard of your book on one of Hal Elrod’s podcasts, and I bought a copy to read and share with the people in my life. It would be awesome if he interviewed you! Thank you for sharing your insights. : )

14. December 3, 2016 8:17 pm

Kamal,

Thank you for these beautiful shiny pearls of wisdom! Not only I want to share this with my younger self, I want to pass it on to my kids… it’s so simple, yet profound and deep!

Thank you thank you thank you!

~ Sharizat

• December 13, 2016 11:28 pm

My pleasure. And passing it along to your children, that’s a heck of a compliment. Thank you!

Trackbacks